In this class you will learn:
- Safe and efficient cutting techniques
- How to sharpen your tools (it's so much more important than you might think!)
- All the steps between the fresh-cut log and the finished bowl
- Basics of design
- Care and feeding of the wood lathe
All tools and wood are provided.
For beginners, the first lessons will focus on cutting technique using freshly-cut green wood, and on tool sharpening. The emphasis is on building skills rather than completing a specific project. Once a student is comfortable working green wood, they can shift to dry wood to produce finished pieces.
Intermediate turners, depending on skill level, can focus on a variety of projects or techniques in consultation with the instructor. Techniques can include form modifications such as integral handles or feet, surface embellishment, paint and other finishes, and carving.
What to bring
- $10 material fee for prepared greenwood turning blanks, cash or check paid to the instructor. Please note that for intermediate students requiring dry stock or roughed dry blanks the materials fee may be higher.
- Turning tools if you have them (we can discuss proper sharpening and tool care)
- Closed-toe shoes
- A turning smock or high-necked shirt, plus a spare shirt to change into after the lesson (green wood is very wet!)
- Notepad or sketchbook for taking notes
If you have any questions please contact Kalia at email@example.com.